Pushing on the Pavement, RAP River Run 2015



My feet are beginning to become rough and warn; my toenails are cut too short.  My calves are sore and I am exhausted.
It has been a long and enjoyable race weekend.  Keith and I ran the RAP River Run in New Port Richey, Florida.  It was my first time running the course and Keith had return to set a dominating PR (personal record) from his first 5k nearly 5 years ago.
As we arrived to the race, Keith warmed up and I had met with new friends.  As I mentioned in a previous blog post I decided to join a local running group, The Suncoast Striders.  I have always wanted to be a decent runner but never truly felt motivated; I desired the encouragement and like mindedness of others.  I seem to have found that in less than a week thus far.  Keith ran off to warm up and stretch as I gabbed with my new Suncoast Strider friend (we will call her Sasha) and her long time friend.  We discussed our goals for the day’s race and any training we have done lately.
Fast forward about 45 minutes and we were warmed up and ready to start the race.  I stood at the back of the pack with a new friend I had made that day (I’m a running friends whore lately, I know) as Sasha got ready to spectate since her daughter was also racing.  I really didn’t give this race much thought as I didn’t run much since my last race, clocking in at a 35:35 race time for the 5k.  The gun went off and people were moving around before I even had my headphones untangled.
I began to move along with the crowd, arranging my headphones and selecting an appropriate song to dart off to.  I hit the mat and selected “start” on my Garmin.  I was ready to rock and roll!  ‘Right Now’ by Akon was pounding in my ears as I tried to navigate away from those who couldn’t keep up; from those who wanted to stop.  I didn’t feel like I was on a particular mission other than to HOPEFULLY do better than I had done in the previous month.  My feet were feeling so good; pounding the pavement to the beat of this awful song I seem to regrettably love so much.  I felt so amazing, my breathing was on point and for the first time I felt like I could keep up with myself.
We ran alongside a small river, through a neighborhood.  Residents from the small community came out to gather outside of the race course, cheering the runners on; all of the holding handmade signs or their morning’s coffee.  Lindsey Stirling’s melodic tunes began to buzz in my ears and I just knew this was the race that I was going to do well at.  Still my feet hit a nice pitter patter on the pavement; my knees felt strong and my calves wanted more so I pushed on.
I continued to zigzag my way around those who kept stopping for a break, a breath and in my way.  As I pushed onto the next mile I could see those leading the whole race; they had turned around to finish the race as this was an out and back race.  I could see some teens running like gazelles, speeding on so effortlessly.  Next was another pack of men, one of which was mine, moving so swiftly.  I gave a big shout “GO KEITH!”  I’m his cheerleader, that’s what I do.  He shot me a glare with his eyes affirming we were both doing well.
I raced on and more orchestral music plays in my ears this time ‘Sweet Child o’ Mine’ by Vitamin String Quartet.  My feet are still aligned with the music; my pace has not dropped but my breathing has become shallow.  By then I had completed the turn around and was running back watching all of those who were running behind me.  I focused on my breathing, deep breathes in, deep breathes out; pace still on point for a PR.  By then Keith had come back to run with me to push me harder; I only had half of a mile to go until I was done with my perfect, pretty little PR.  He picked up our pace, giving me pointers; reminding me to keep breathing deep and slow with my strides.  Finally, I could see the finish line!
Keith demanded that I give it all that I’ve got left in me.  By then ‘Wooty’ by Edubb is pounding ferociously in my ears, I speed off thinking to myself “I’m a fucking cheetah!”
I lay it out, I gave it allllll that I had left in me.  I pushed so hard weaving in and out between the people who were slowing down while I was speeding up.  I almost yelled at a man to get out of my way but I did not; I just curved past him to hit the finish mat.
I immediately ripped my headphones out of my ears and hung my head down trying not to puke up the bagel and coffee I had that morning.  Keith had caught up to me by then holding his hand up to high five me.  I blew him off resisting the urge to blow chunks everywhere.  A few minutes later I held my hand up for my rain check high five and was able to walk on for water, a dry towel to wipe down with and my finishers medal.
It took some time before the finisher times were posted.  I had Keith go up and look as I was nervous.  I knew my watch wasn’t right on the time and assumed it took me longer; I was wrong.  More than a 2 minute PR, inside I was jumping for joy!
Looking back now, before another dull, draining work week begins, I can’t help but to feel so accomplished.  I’ve been on a high now, looking for another race to do and to see how much faster I can be.  Is this what a “runner’s high” feels like?  At what point are you considered as a “runner?”  I’ll be honest, after this weekend’s race, I officially feel like an unofficial runner.  All I can think about is my next race and the smell of everyone’s sweet sweat!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top