Is a Menstrual Cup Right for You?

So I started my menstrual cup journey roughly three months ago.  The first month was by far the weirdest oddest period of my life but it was also LIFE CHANGING.  My periods are SO MUCH easier to manage and way less stressful!

So here I am going to share with you what a menstrual cup is, how it works and the top reasons to give one a try! 

Before I bore you with TONS of details I want to preface that if you are NOT comfortable with touching your lady bits then this product is NOT right for you.  I STRONGLY encourage women to become very in tune and in touch with their bodies; take time to truly know what you've got going on down there.  There is NOTHING wrong with touching yourself, knowing what everything looks like, smells like and the terminology of your anatomy.  You WILL need to touch yourself, use your fingers and move around in awkward positions to get it right!  Now let's continue!   

A menstrual cup is a silicone cup used to catch your "flow" which is inserted into your vaginal canal.  Typically women opt for tampons or pads which can become very cumbersome.  Having to worry constantly about having some products on hand, where to dispose discretely, the leaks and more is something I was down right SICK AND TIRED of dealing with.  Many times I would have to dismiss myself from meetings to handle my situation on leaks and God forbid I have to sneeze at any point in time within that week. 


The menstrual cup has SEVERAL brands, designs, etc. just as any other sanitary product.  I chose the Diva Cup as it was affordable, had MANY reviews on Amazon and all around looked appealing (damn those marketers and pretty designs on the box).  I ordered mine on Amazon for about half the price Walgreens was selling it for.  I selected the first size as I have never had children.  If you've had children I would select size 2. 

The first month was really a learning experience on how to insert, finding a comfortable position to insert, cleaning, etc.  Just as using tampons for the first time, it did take some getting used to.  I stuck with using it at home only then gradually allowed myself to leave the house when I felt more comfortable.  I did have to snip the tip as it was much too long for me and was poking me. 

HOW TO INSERT: 

So you might be thinking, HOW do I put this inside of my body!?  There's no right or wrong way to insert so long as the cup is not folded up inside of you and has a "suction."

You'll need to fold the cup (I use the taco method or U Fold), spread your legs and insert/push it up there.  I push outward slightly as if I am about to pass gas as doing so helps to grab the cup and pull it up when I release from pushing.  You'll need to swirl your finger around the cup to ensure that there is no "fold" or the cup is not collapsed in any way.  See image below for more details on folding and inserting. 


HOW TO REMOVE: 

Now the menstrual cup allows you to wear the cup, leak proof for 12 hours!  (That's right!)  When you're ready to remove you can either use the shower, toilet, or tub.  Simply grab the bottom of the cup by pinching the actual cup (not the little tip) and pull down.  You really shouldn't have much of a mess such as spillage.  Then just dump the contents into the toilet or drain.  It's best to get a good wash on the cup by using some sanitizing soap.  Once your cycle is over you can boil the cup or simply wash and store for next month! 

WHY WOULD I WANT TO USE A MENSTRUAL CUP? 

1. Leak proof protection for 12 hours 
2. Can insert the cup before cycle begins to prevent leaks and not worry about that start up time frame 
3. Easy to use (once you get used to it) 
4. Saves TONS of money on Tampons & Pads 
5. Saves the environment by going green!  Less waste! 
6. Prevents TSS (Toxic Shock Syndrome)
7. Prevent yourself from harmful chemicals in modern tampons and sanitary napkins INFO HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top